Saturday, May 17, 2008

"What the hell?", They ask..

There's been many a time when the question of why it is I'm so obsessed with basketball comes into play. The answer's quite simple, really. I love basketball because it gives me something. Basketball gives me a place where i can think and clearly ratiocinate. Believe it or not, any real thoughts I've ever had on any thing were inspired by a few hours of just shooting around by myself on the courts.

Basketball is also very important to me because it provides me with a place where i really don't have to abide by any social standard to fit in. You see, Basketball in itself (this applies to all sports) is built on ability and determination. It's very unlike "chillin at the mall" or any kind of social outing. I don't have to look good to be good at it or to simply enjoy it. No one has to look fancy, no one has to talk a certain way, smell a certain way, smile a certain way. No, basketball is all about you, the ball, the hoop, and a few feet of asphalt or hardwood. The only conversation that ever goes on is between teammates relaying to each other to watch out for screens, or to take a shot, or to look out for interior passes.

I love this games because i can get away from what most consider as "reality" and just relax. I can, in the most honest and complete nature, be myself. I have made many a friend through just playing on the same team. I've even made some great friends by playing on opposing teams. There's another great thing, you can actually earn the respect of someone who is supposed to be focusing on destroying you, just by playing the game and having a damn good time doing it. I don't need to look fancy or talk a certain way to have my presence felt. No, on the contrary, once you realize how lethal my shot can be, and just how hard you might have to work to stop me..you'll know I'm there. You'll know my name once I'm done breaking down every single angle of your defense. You'll know my style once i use it to get my way on every end of that court. And most of all, i WILL earn your respect once you realize the damage that I, along with four other regular brothers, can do with just one ball.

No comments: